Skip to content

Child Care

Children who attend licensed child care centres are required through the Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014 to have up to date immunizations as recommended by the local Medical Officer of Health (Regulation 137/15).

In Renfrew County and District, every child attending licensed child care must be immunized based on their age as recommended in the routine immunization schedule for Ontario. Immunizations are available at our immunization clinics and from family physicians.

Responsibilities of Child Care Centres

Each child care center is responsible for ensuring that immunizations for each infant/child enrolled in the centre are up-to-date. This includes keeping immunization records on file and forwarding copies to the Health Unit. If a parent/guardian choses to complete an exemption form, the Health Unit requires the original and the child care centre should keep a photocopy.

Please refer to the 2018 Child Care Instructions and Timelines, or 2018 Instructions et échéances concernant les soumissions d’inscriptions et des dossiers d’immunisation et/ou d’exemptions valides des enfants en service de garde for the instructions and timelines on how Child Care Centre Operators are to report immunization status of all enrolled children.

Please refer to the following documents for reporting immunizations:


Employee/Volunteer/Student Immunizations

According to the Child Care and Early Years Act (CCEYA), “Every licensee of a child care center shall ensure that each person employed, has a health assessment and record of immunization as recommended by the local Medical Officer of Health”.

The Medical Officer of Health for Renfrew County requires all child care employees to have up-to-date immunizations. Students and volunteers are also required to receive these immunizations. Please refer to 2018 Immunization Recommendations for Staff Working in Child Care Centres for a complete list of required and recommended immunizations. Child care centre operators are responsible for ensuring that each employee/volunteer/student has a complete immunization record on file.

An employee who objects to immunization due to medical or non-medical reasons must complete a standardized approved exemption form from the Ministry of Education and provide it to the child care operator.

Exemption Requirements

All exemptions should be submitted on the forms provided by the Ministry of Education. All previous exemptions will expire on September 1, 2017. If continued exemption is needed, a new form must be submitted.

Statement of conscience or religious belief must be completed by a parent or guardian.

Statement of medical exemption must be completed by a medical doctor or nurse practitioner.


For further information or questions, call the Health Info Line at 613-735-8666 or 1-800-267-1097 ext. 666.

The Ontario Health Protection and Promotion Act lists over 70 communicable diseases that must be reported to local health units. Directors of many institutions including licensed child care facilities are responsible for reporting suspected cases of reportable diseases to the local Health Unit. All reports are followed up by a Public Health Nurse or Public Health Inspector.

The Communicable Disease Guidelines for School and Child Care Facilities is intended to provide you with general information about communicable diseases commonly experienced by children, and to help you identify and prevent the spread of illness. Within this guide, you will find a description of 36 common childhood diseases including information on how they are spread; incubation periods; periods of communicability; prevention; and facility reporting requirements. There is also information on general infection control practices that any facility can implement to prevent the spread of disease.

Communicable Disease Guidelines for Schools and Child Care Facilities

Prévention et contrôle des infections en milieu scolaire et services de garde – Guide d’interventions

How to report communicable diseases

  1. See the list of Reportable Diseases.
  2. For diseases which need to be reported immediately, call 613-735-8653 during office hours, and 613-735-9926 during evenings, weekends and holidays.
  3. For all reportable diseases, complete the Communicable Disease Reporting Form for Day Cares & Schools and fax to 613-735-3067 by the next business day.


What's Happening Soon

View Our Calendar

Pembroke Office

TEL: 613-732-3629 or 1-800-267-1097

Renfrew Office

TEL: 613-432-5853 or 1-800-465-5000