Skip to content


Immunizations (or vaccinations) are a safe and the most effective way to prevent many serious diseases.

Renfrew County and District Health Unit (RCDHU) offers immunization services to people who live, work and attend school in Ontario.

For current RCDHU Immunization Clinics being offered please call 613-732-9436 or 1-833-773-0004.

As required by the Immunization of School Pupils Act, 1990 (ISPA) and the Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014 (CCEYA),. families need to report immunization records to their local public health unit.

Note: Health Care providers are NOT obligated to share Immunization Records with the health unit.

Ways to report to your local public health unit (RCDHU):

  • Online, using Immunization Connect Ontario (ICON) tool.
  • Keep your child’s vaccination record up to date using the ICON Tool.


What is ICON?

ICON is a secure online system for submitting, updating, viewing, and printing your or your child’s immunization information to RCDHU.

How to use (ICON)?

You will need to create an account and set a PIN for you or your child.

Important: Please upload a picture of the record so we can accurately verify that the correct vaccine is entered.


To do this, you will need the following information: 

Ontario Health Card*                                        OR                Ontario Immunization ID (OIID)**

Postal Code*                                                                          **To obtain the OIID and get assistance setting your PIN call Renfrew County and District Health Unit at 613-732-9436 or 1-833-773-0004

*This must be on file with the health unit


  • Email a digital copy of the Immunization record to
  • Subject title: Clinical Services- Immunization Record


  • Fax a copy of the immunization record 613-735-3067,
  • ATTN to: Clinical Services- Immunization Records


  • Mailing*** a copy of the immunization to:
  • Renfrew County and District Health Unit
  • 141 Lake Street
  • Pembroke ON K8A 5L8

***Please note that mailing can take more time and delay the reviewing and updating of the file in the provincial database system.

As a parent, keeping your children safe and healthy is your number one priority. All children attending school between the ages of 4 to 17 need to be immunized according to Ontario’s immunization schedule. Immunization protects children from many serious diseases that are easily spread in the community.

Under the Immunization of School Pupils Act, children need to have proof of immunization against:

  • diphtheria
  • tetanus
  • polio
  • measles
  • mumps
  • rubella
  • meningococcal disease
  • pertussis (whooping cough)
  • Varicella for children born in 2010 or after

Required documentation for school registration

To ensure that all children have proof of the required vaccines, RCDHU reviews immunization records for each child who attends school on an annual basis. Health Care Providers are not obligated to share immunization records with health units. Please ensure you receive an updated copy of every immunization your child receives. Parents/Guardians are responsible for providing up to date vaccination information to RCDHU.

When registering a child for school, Parents/Guardians need to report their child’s immunization records to RCDHU using the secure online ICON tool. This provides RCDHU with a paperless file of immunization records. It is important to check if you are using the ICON website specific to RCDHU. You can do so by looking at the top left of the ICON webpage.

Immunization Record Requirements For School Registration EN

Immunization Record Requirements For School Registration FR

Have you received an Immunization Notice Letter from RCDHU?

A notice is sent when the immunization history for the student is missing information on the provincial database system for one of the following reasons:

  • RCDHU does not have a complete immunization record for the student.
  • The student is overdue for one or more immunizations.
  • You have chosen not to have the student vaccinated, but do not have a valid exemption on file.

To avoid school suspension, please report your child’s immunization, every time they receive a vaccine or booster. If your child receives an immunization notice, call RCDHU at 613-732-9436 or submit immunization information by using our online tool (ICON). Please visit our Reporting Immunization Records accordion.

The Health Unit offers community immunization clinics for students who are missing the required vaccines. To check what is available and to book an appointment call 613-732-9436 or 1-833-773-0004.

Exemptions from immunization

  1. For medical reasons: If your child will be attending school and is medically unable to be vaccinated, statement of medical exemption form must be completed by a medical doctor or nurse practitioner.
  2. For conscience or religious belief: If Parents/Guardians are choosing to not vaccinate their child for conscience or religious belief, a mandatory education session MUST be completed. This must be provided by Renfrew County and District Health Unit.

In the event of an outbreak related to a vaccine preventable disease, any child with a medical, conscience or religious belief exemption on file will be asked to stay home and not attend school until the risk related to the outbreak has ended.

For more information or to find out how to complete a valid exemption call RCDHU at 613-732-9436 or 1-833-773-0004. You may also visit Vaccines for children at school.

Why should you get vaccinated?

When you get vaccines, you protect yourself and everyone else around you. This includes our most vulnerable people, like very young children, the elderly or those who have weak immune systems. Regardless of how healthy you are, you could get very sick or even die without vaccines to protect you. The protection offered by some vaccines only last for a certain amount of time, so it is important to receive booster doses in adulthood to keep yourself and those around you safe.

As an adult you should receive the following free vaccines:

More information on publicly funded vaccinations.

Immunization is a simple, effective way to protect your child against preventable diseases. Routine immunization begins at two months of age and continues throughout life according to Ontario’s routine immunization schedule

All of the routine vaccines are free of charge and are available at RCDHU’s immunization clinics, or from your family physician.

Bring your child’s immunization record (yellow card) when getting an immunization. Your health care provider will update the card. It is the parent’s responsibility to report immunizations to RCDHU. Call 613-732-9436 or 1-833-773-0004.

Keep the yellow card in a safe place. This record may be needed when:

  • entering day care or school
  • traveling
  • attending camp
  • visiting an emergency department or clinic

Vaccine Fact Sheets

Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Polio and Hib (DTap-IPV-Hib) Vaccine Fact Sheet

Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) Vaccine Fact Sheet

Meningococcal Vaccine Fact Sheet

Pneumococcal Vaccine Fact Sheet

Rotavirus Vaccine Fact Sheet

Tetanus Diphtheria Pertussis Polio Vaccine Fact Sheet

Varicella (Chicken Pox) Vaccine Fact Sheet

Hepatitis B for babies Vaccine Fact Sheet

Providing Immunization information for attending licensed child care

Immunization protects children from many serious diseases that are easily spread in child care settings. In accordance with the Child Care and Early Years Act, all children attending a licensed child care centre must show proof of immunization against diphtheria, haemophilus influenza type B, measles, meningococcal diseases, mumps, pertussis, pneumococcal disease, poliomyelitis, rotavirus, rubella, tetanus, and varicella. Children who are not immunized must provide a valid exemption.

If you are registering your child for a licensed daycare, please complete the Immunization Program Questionnaire. Submit the questionnaire and a copy of your child’s immunization record to either your local Renfrew County and District Health Unit office or your licensed child care provider.

To be exempt from the required immunizations, one of the following must be provided to Renfrew County and District Health Unit:

If you have questions regarding the Immunization Program Questionnaire, or exemption form, please call us at 732-9436 or 1-833-773-0004.

Renfrew County and District Health Unit provides immunizations in schools, free of charge, for grade 7 students.

Grade 7 students are immunized against Hepatitis B (HB), Meningococcal Disease and Human Papillomavirus (HPV).  Meningococcal vaccine is required for students to attend school in Ontario as per the Immunization of School Pupils Act (1990). HB and HPV vaccines are also strongly recommended.

If your child is not at school on the day that Public Health Nurses are there to give the vaccines, please call the Vaccine-Preventable Diseases intake line at 732-9436 or 1-833-773-0004 to book an appointment at one of our immunization clinics.

Ontario’s Grade 7 School Immunization Program

Grade 7 Meningococcal, Hepatitis B and Human Papillomavirus Pamphlet  – English / French

Grade 7 HPV, Hep B, Meningococcal Consent Form – English / French

Video Link – Ontario’s grade 7 school immunization program – The Vaccines

Video Link – Programme de vaccination scolaire de l’Ontario – Les Vaccins

Video Link – Ontario’s grade 7 school immunization program – Preparing for a School Clinic

Video Link – Programme de vaccination scolaire de l’Ontario – Se Préparer pour une Clinique de Vaccination

The Ontario Ministry of Health offers free Meningococcal, Hepatitis B (HB), and Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines to all Grade 7 students.  Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, students in Grade 9 and 10 may still be eligible to receive the above-mentioned vaccines.  Meningococcal vaccine is required for students to attend school in Ontario as per the Immunization of School Pupils Act (1990). HB and HPV vaccines are also strongly recommended.

RCDHU School Immunization Team will be providing the above-mentioned immunizations in schools, free of charge, for eligible grade 9 and 10 students throughout the months of March 2022, and April 2022.  If your youth is not able to attend a school based clinics, you may book an appointment at a health unit clinic by calling 613-732-9436 or 1-833-773-0004.

How to get your youth vaccinated

  • At the clinic hosted at your youth’s school.  Please click HERE TO REGISTER your youth to a Grade 9-10 School Immunization Clinic.
  • Through your Health Care Provider.  Inquire about school-based immunizations by calling their office.
  • Through RCDHU. To book an appointment, call 613-732-9436 or 1-833-773-0004.

GR 9-10 School Immunization Catch-Up Consent Forms

GR 9-10 School Immunization Catch-Up Information Pamphlets

CARD System

Use the CARD system to have a more positive vaccination experience.


For up-to-date Travel Health Information, please visit the Public Health Agency of Canada’s travel health resources webpage, or speak to you health care provider.


To access local travel health services call Cahoon’s Pharmacy 613-584-1116, or visit Aikenhead’s Pharmacy’s website.

What's Happening Soon

View Our Calendar

Pembroke Office

TEL: 613-732-3629 or 1-800-267-1097

Renfrew Office

TEL: 613-432-5853 or 1-800-465-5000

Office Hours: Monday – Friday: 9:00 a.m. – noon and 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.