Falls are the leading cause of injury among older adults in Renfrew County and District.
The good news is that most falls are predictable and preventable. Prevent a fall before it happens by making a plan.
Find out how falls can be prevented by reading the Injuries Caused by Falls Among Older Adults in Renfrew County and District report. Watch the report video and download the report infographic.
Here are 6 actions you can take to decrease your risk of falling.
- Find and remove hazards in your home
- Exercise for strength and balance
- Manage medications and their side effects
- Have the right safety and protective gear
- Have regular health check-ups
- Eat healthy meals and stay hydrated
Road safety remains a top priority in Ontario. Renfrew County and District Health Unit works with partners on making our roads safer.
Key driving safety challenges include:
- Improper use of restraints (seat belts, car seats/booster seats)
- Motorcycle safety
- Impaired driving (alcohol, illegal drugs, prescription and over the counter drugs)
- Distracted and inattentive driving
Distracted driving is a major safety concern and has now surpassed drunk/drugged driving as the leading cause of motor vehicle collisions that cause deaths. Take the online pledge to Leave the Phone Alone while driving.