Skip to content

Immunization Notice

Why did my child receive an Immunization Notice?

The Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA), requires public health units to collect and review immunization records for all students, aged 4-17, in Ontario. Students are required to be immunized against the following diseases: tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), polio, measles, mumps, rubella, meningococcal disease; and for students born in 2010 or later varicella (chicken pox) or submit an exemption form.

A letter is sent when the immunization history for the student is missing information OR if the required immunizations were not given in accordance with the Publicly Funded Immunization Schedule for Ontario.  Health Care Providers do not always update the health unit when an immunization is given in their office.

If you do not provide the required information or have a valid exemption on file, students will receive a “Notice of Suspension” and will not be able to attend school until the required information is received.

Compare your child’s yellow immunization card with the health unit record that is provided on page 2 of the Immunization Notice.  If your child has received immunizations that are not included on the health unit record, send an updated copy to the health unit via fax 613-735-3067, mail, or by dropping a copy off at your local health unit office.

If you have any questions or concerns please call 613-735-8666

Make an appointment with your health care provider, or with the health unit to have your child immunized. If your child is vaccinated by your health care provider, ask them to send a copy of the immunizations to the health unit.

To book an appointment with the health unit call 613-735-8666.

Contact any current or previous health care providers to see if they have a copy on file. If you have moved to Ontario from another province, or country, contact your previous local public health office and request them to forward a copy to the health unit.

If you have any questions or concerns please call 613-735-8666

If you choose not to immunize your child, the Immunization of School Pupils Act requires students, aged 4-17, to have a Conscience or Religious Belief Affidavit in place. If your child can not be vaccinated due to a medical reason, a medical exemption must be completed by a health care provider, and submitted to the health unit.

As of September 1 2017, parents requesting a Conscience or Religious Belief Affidavit must attend an education session provided by the health unit before they receive their exemption form. For more information on how to obtain a Conscience or Religious Belief Affidavit call 613-735-8653 ext. 513.

Please note: Students with medical exemptions, or affidavits, will be removed from school during a disease outbreak.  Unvaccinated students are at increased risks for contracting diseases and place other students at risk who are unable to be immunized due to medical concerns.

What's Happening Soon

View Our Calendar

Pembroke Office

TEL: 613-732-3629 or 1-800-267-1097

Renfrew Office

TEL: 613-432-5853 or 1-800-465-5000