RCDHU will be providing flu shots early November. Please watch the RCDHU website and local media for upcoming information on influenza clinic dates, locations and other details.
For the 2020/2021 flu campaign, the Ministry of Health is releasing flu vaccine in stages across the province to priority groups first; long-term care homes, hospitals and primary care. It is anticipated that community flu clinics will start in early November. Currently, Renfrew County and District Health Unit (RCDHU) is working with primary care and community partners to plan and implement a Renfrew County and District 2020/2021 Flu Campaign.
What is the flu?
The flu (influenza) is a contagious virus that can spread to anyone. However, there are several things you can do to avoid catching it, or spreading it to others.
If you think that you might have the flu you should stay home and self-isolate. If you think you have COVID-19, contact your family doctor. If you do not have a family doctor, contact the Renfrew County Virtual Triage Assessment Centre (RC VTAC) at 1-844-727-6404 to book an appointment.
Who should get the flu vaccine?
Everyone 6 months of age and older should get the flu vaccine every year, unless there is a medical reason not to.
If you’re 65 years of age or older, there are two different flu shots available – standard dose and high-dose. The standard-dose vaccine protects against four strains of flu virus. The high-dose vaccine, (also called “Fluzone® HighDose”) protects against three strains of flu virus, but in higher doses. Seniors can choose which dose they prefer.
Why should I get the flu vaccine?
This year’s flu season is taking place at the same time as COVID-19. Getting a flu shot is the best way to protect yourself and the people around you from getting the flu. Don’t take any unnecessary risks with your health.
The flu shot is:
- safe (including for kids and if you are pregnant or breastfeeding)
- proven to reduce the number of doctor visits, hospitalizations and deaths related to the flu
- different each year because the virus changes frequently – so you need to get it every fall.
Who is at high-risk?
Some people are more vulnerable to complications and hospitalization from the flu:
- babies under 6 months of age are too young to get the flu shot, but they’ll get some protection if their parent got the flu shot while they were pregnant;
- children under 5 years of age, because their immune systems are developing, and their airways are small and more easily blocked;
- people 65 years of age or older, because their immune systems are weaker, and they are more likely to have an underlying condition that increases their risk;
- people who are pregnant, because their immune system, heart and lungs change – especially later in pregnancy – making them more likely to get seriously ill from the flu.
- people with underlying health conditions, such as asthma, heart disease or diabetes
Shoppers Drug Mart – 55 Elgin Street West, Arnprior, ON K7S 1N6
Rexall Pharma Plus – 22 Baskin Drive, Arnprior, ON K7S 3G8
Excellent Care Pharmacy – 386 Daniel St S, Arnprior, ON K7S 3G9
Clancy’s Drug Store – 99 John Street North, Arnprior, ON K7S 2N4
Beach-West Pharmacy – 1858 Beachburg Road, Beachburg, ON K0J 1C0
Calabogie Pharmacy – 1101 Francis St, Calabogie, ON K0J 1H0
Conways Pharmacy – 60 Main Street, Cobden, ON K0J 1K0
Rx Drug Mart – 11 Champlain St, Deep River, ON K0J 1P0
Cahoon’s Pharmacy – 95 Deep River Road, Deep River, ON K0J 1P0
Deep River’s Pharmacy and UK Goodies – 25 Champlain St, Deep River, ON K0J 1P0
Conways Pharmacy – 251 Bridge Street, Eganville, ON K0J 1T0
Golden Lake Pharmsave – 1188 Highway 60, Golden Lake, ON K0J 1X0
Mulvihill (West End) Drug Mart – 1231 Pembroke Street West, Pembroke, ON K8A 5R3
Rexall Pharma Plus – 215 Pembroke Street East, Pembroke, ON K8A 3J8
Rexall Pharma Plus – 1100 Pembroke Street East, Pembroke, ON K8A 6Y7
Wal-Mart Pharmacy – 1108 Pembroke Street East, Pembroke, ON K8A 7R4
Pharmasave Rowan’s – 115 Pembroke Street West, Pembroke, ON K8A 5M7
Shoppers Drug Mart – 811 Pembroke Street East, Pembroke, ON K8A 3M3
Mulvihill Drug Mart – 3419 Petawawa Blvd. Petawawa, ON K8H 1X4
Conway’s Pharmacy Petawawa – 3025 Petawawa Blvd. Petawawa, ON K8H 1X9
Rexall – 1011 Victoria Street, Petawawa, ON K8H 2E2
Shoppers Drug Mart – 25 Civic Centre Road, Petawawa, ON K8H 0B1
Wal-Mart Pharmacy – 980 O’Brien Road, Renfrew, ON K7V 3Z4
Rexall – 339 Raglan Street South, Renfrew, ON K7V 1R6
Aikenhead’s PharmaChoice Drug Store – 226 Raglan Street South, Renfrew, ON K7V 1R1
Wayland Pharmacy (No Frills) – 680 O’Brien Road, Renfrew, ON K7V 3Z4
Whitney Pharmacy – 29542 Highway 60 Whitney, ON K0J2M0